After finishing a workout, it's important that you’re replenishing your body with the right post-workout nutrition it needs.
Having a meal that's high in protein and carbs after your workout sessions will help to replenish your glycogen energy stores, and help build and repair your muscles to optimise recovery.
This February, our team of dietitians have created and curated their top 22 recipes that make ideal post-workout meals.
Check out 5 of our favourite post-workout recipes below, and try one after your next sweat session.
Please note that these recipes and nutritional information are only for a single-serve portion. If you're cooking for more than one or want to meal prep, simply multiply the quantity of ingredients by the number of serves you'd like to make.
- 120g Banana
- 150ml Milk (Low Fat)
- 30g Whey Protein Powder
- 45g Ice Cream (Low Fat) (Classic Vanilla)
- 20g Rolled Oats (Raw) (Gluten Free Optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Ice can be added, if desired.
Beef Rice Paper Rolls
- 30g Rice Paper
- 30g Rice Noodles (Raw)
- 130g Beef (Sirloin, Rump) (Raw)
- 10g Lettuce
- 20g Cabbage
- 3 tsp Tamari
- Red Chilli, to taste
- Prepare rice paper and rice noodles as per packet instructions.
- Prepare ingredients: finely slice chilli, finely chop cabbage and lettuce. Cut beef into thin strips and season to taste.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and apply a light spray of oil, if necessary. Once hot, add beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked to your liking.
- In the meantime, mix together chilli and tamari in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lay out rice paper and add even amounts of beef, rice noodles, cabbage and lettuce. Drizzle with tamari chilli sauce. Keep ingredients close together so rice paper can be rolled easily.
- Fold the top and bottom edge of rice paper towards the centre, then fold in both sides to make a roll. Repeat for remaining rice paper rolls.
*We recommend making this meal at time of consumption. This meal can be stored in an air-tight container and kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Apple Pie Toast Stack
- 120g Wholemeal Bread
- 60g Apple
- 80g Ricotta (Low Fat)
- 10g Honey
- Ground Cinnamon
- Toast bread to your liking and slice apple into thin slices.
- Spread toast with ricotta and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Assemble stack: place 1/2 of apple onto one slice of ricotta toast and drizzle with 1/2 of honey. Place a second piece of toast on top and repeat layering with sliced apple and drizzled honey. Close stack with last slice of toast.
*We recommend making this meal at time of consumption.
Weetbix Overnight Cheesecake Oats
- 30g Weet-Bix
- 100g Cottage Cheese (Creamed)
- 30g Rolled Oats (Raw)
- 140ml Milk (Low Fat)
- 15ml Maple Syrup
- 40g Apple
- Finely dice apple.
- Combine oats, crushed weetbix, milk, apple and maple syrup in a medium-sized container. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. After 1-2 minutes, roughly stir through cottage cheese.
- Seal container and store in fridge overnight (or for 1 hour minimum). Serve cold.
*This meal can be stored in an air-tight container and kept in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Chicken Couscous Bowl
- 160g Chicken Breast (Raw)
- 30g Pomegranate
- 50g Couscous (Raw)
- 20g Feta Cheese (Reduced Fat)
- 30g Capsicum
- Fresh Parsley, to taste
- Fresh Mint, to taste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- Lemon Juice, to taste
- Prepare ingredients: finely dice capsicum, roughly chop herbs and crumble feta. Sprinkle turmeric and salt over chicken and press to coat.
- Cook couscous as per packet instructions.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and apply a light spray of oil, if necessary. Once hot, add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside and rest for 5 minutes.
- Add couscous, feta, pomegranate, capsicum and herbs to a bowl and mix to combine. Drizzle with lemon juice and season to taste.
- To serve, slice chicken and place on top of couscous.
*This meal is great for meal prepping, and can be stored in an air-tight container and kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
We love to see what's on your plate, so be sure to tag us in your favourite post-workout meals on Instagram at @movewithus, or share your creations in the Community Facebook Forum!
To explore more ideas for your post-workout meals, head to the Recipe Library in the Move With Us App to discover over 1000 recipes catering to your dietary preferences.
Join one of our Programs to receive 12 weeks access to all features of the MWU App, including customised Meal Guides suited to your health and fitness goals, and personalised calorie and macro targets to help you succeed.
You can take our 60-second quiz to find the perfect MWU program to achieve your goals.